Thursday, October 25, 2007

I guess it is the season for horror movies

Isn't there a classic horror movie in which one of the characters has an episode of projectile vomiting? I don't watch horror movies (scare too easily), so I don't know which one, but it seems like I've seen that somewhere.

Well, we decided to re-enact that last night. Ethan had just eaten and had a full belly. I decided that it was a good time to give him his Tri-Vi-Sol vitamin drops. I know that I always feel better when I take vitamins on a full stomach, so the plan made sense to me. I laid him down on the counter, gave him the drops and was feeling very proud of myself because the drops actually went in his mouth instead of all over his face and neck. I picked him up and was holding him while we chatted with Daniel.

Then Ethan gave a little cough, I looked down, and a fountain of brown-tinged (from the vitamin drops) spit-up came out of his mouth. It went all over him and on my shirt as well. Just my pjs, no big deal. Not too fun, but we've had worse. Then Ethan gave another little cough, followed by a larger fountain of spit-up. At this point, there is spit-up running off my arm onto the floor. He's managed to get spit-up on the counter, the floor, the carpet and the side of the counter. I just stood there, dripping, not entirely sure what to do. And while I stood there, he did it again. I don't know how he even had that much food in his stomach. More stunned standing in place from me, and Daniel stood and stared at Ethan and I. Somehow he had no spit-up on himself.

I finally got Daniel to mop up the spit-up that was running off my arm and to wipe off my foot so that I wouldn't track it through the house. I'm not entirely sure what I would have done if I'd been home alone at the time. Clean-up of Ethan was pretty easy, so I took care of that, then dumped Ethan in Daniel's arm, poured a glass of wine and went to take a bath. That's really the only way to deal with this kind of situation.

There is just no way that you can be prepared for this type of thing. You hear about it, but it's totally unbelievable until it actually happens to you.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Just wait until he starts eathing solid food! :) Hee, hee, I didn't mean to scare you - but Halloween is just around the corner!

By the time he's one, you'll have forgotten all about this, swear.