Friday, September 7, 2007

No need to hurry

I am one of those people who always moves quickly. I walk quickly, talk quickly, read at breakneck speeds, and generally travel through life as more of a small tornado than a person. I've always managed to accomplish more in a day than most people do in a week. So, I'm having a little trouble adjusting to the idea that 1) I have no need to rush through things because I have virtually nothing to do and 2) my job now is to slow down and do things at baby speed. Moving slowly is hard for me to do though. This morning Daniel and I read our devotion and said our morning prayers, then he headed to work. I was sitting on the couch with Cranky Baby, who had finally calmed down. After Daniel left, my first thought was "I wonder if Ethan is calm enough for me to put him in his pack-n-play, so that I can get up and do stuff." Then it occurred to me that I didn't really have anything pressing to do, and that the most important thing right then was to sit and cuddle Ethan and make him feel safe.

I lasted 5 minutes on the couch, sitting quietly with the baby. That's progress for me. I'm going to have to keep working on it. This sort of shift in mindset and behavior is not going to come easily for me.

In other news, my face (which was sleeping quietly on my pillow), managed to get in the way of a cat chase this morning, and one of the cats ran over my face with her claws. So I have a lovely scratch on my chin. Nice. Good thing I have no social life at the moment.

Ethan is summoning me- gotta run!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boy is so cute!! I can't believe how teeny he was at birth. Jack was 8 lbs 13 oz and I thought he was little.

Congrats on the beautiful boy!!

Jen (mazigra0925 from WW)

kyouell said...

Ah, finally caught up!

I wish I had your energy. I am perfectly happy to just sit on the couch and make faces at my baby. Not very fun for the 2yo though, so I try to keep it to a minimum. :-D