Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I feel like roadkill

My sweet baby is having a rough day. He refused to eat much last night before bed, then woke up 2 hours later. When he again refused to eat much. Repeat 2 hours later. After that, he stayed partially awake and whined for the rest of the night. I feel bad for him- he's obviously feeling not great, but I don't know what to do to make him feel better. Except sit on the couch and hold him.



I know it's still early days- that Ethan is only 6.5 weeks old, but I wish we could get in some sort of sleep routine that involved sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. I'm a little worn out. And a little discouraged, as I got an email from a friend yesterday, talking about how her baby is finally sleeping 8 hours at a time, and has been doing so since he was 6.5 weeks old. I know I shouldn't worry too much since a) every baby is different and b) Ethan is still only 9 pounds and needs to eat often. And I feel like I cant really complain, as Daniel and I deliberately chose not to use the Babywise method, which many of our friends have used successfully, including the friend who emailed me. I know it works well for a lot of people, but we just didn't feel like it was the right method for us. But I'm tired, so I'm second guessing myself now.



In other news, my PEPS group [Program for Early Parental Support- a moms/parents group that meets in Seattle. We meet in groups of 8-12 parents and babies, organized by neighborhood and age of baby, with meetings for 12 weeks] starts tomorrow. I'm completely nervous about this. I'm a really outgoing person, once I've gotten to know people. At first, I'm quiet and just listen a lot, but then once I get comfortable, I never shut up again. But tomorrow I have to go socialize with a group of strangers. STRANGERS. It's scary enough to meet people under the best of circumstances, but meeting people when I'm this tired and when I haven't really socialized with adults in close to two months and may have completely forgotten how to carry on an intelligent conversation... cue the horror movie music. I've heard great things about PEPS groups though, and all the other moms are pretty much in the same exhaustion/lack of any life outside of changing dirty diapers boat, so I actually have high hopes for it to be a good meeting.


Guess what! My baby has a poopy diaper! Shocking, I know. Gotta go. :)






...because playing sports with Mommy would probably mess me up for life.

2 comments:

Karen said...

We didn't use Babywise either. I know many people swear by it, but it wasn't for me.

I sympathize with your exhaustion, it is so hard to function when your sleep is so messed with.

BJ said...

Is Babywise the deal by the Ezzo's? I've heard lots of scary stuff about that. Just so you know, we are mostly attachment parenting, and so far, we've turned out well-adjusted children. Not a bunch of cling-ons. So don't worry about ruining your baby just because you don't Ezzo-ize him. I think it's best to avoid that approach. Just my opinion. I hope you get some sleep, too. It's so hard!!!