Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I cant believe it

Ethan and I just got back from Portland this evening, and then had a pretty rough evening, probably due to mental overload in the baby's brain, so I don't have much energy to blog about our weekend at Grandma's house. But I have things to say about that, so will blog later on that topic.

But, for now, I just had to blog about this. Daniel drove us down to Portland on Saturday- we made the 3 hour drive in about 5 hours, including a trip to Target. My 5 week old baby has now been to Target 4 times, at 3 different locations, in 2 states. I think that this might be a sign that Daniel and I have a problem. But not one I want fixed. Anyway, we all were in Portland Saturday night, then Daniel came home Sunday and enjoyed his peace and quiet and ability to work late without receiving whiny phone calls from a wife who really is too old to be whining.

So I was left "alone" in Portland with the baby. We were staying with my grandmother, and she lives with my aunt, uncle, and cousin, so there were always lots of people around. But, when it was bedtime, I was on my own with the munchkin. We had one good night and one bad one, and by the time we were about halfway home on the train this afternoon, I was tired enough to have reached a point where I was sitting in my train seat, fantasizing about handing off the baby to Daniel and sleeping at least most of the way through the night.

Then I got home, and discovered that my beloved has caught a cold. Which relieves him of baby duty completely. Unbelievable. We never catch colds. In fact, neither of us gets sick very often. A cold is a once-every-two-years thing for me, and pretty much once-yearly event for Daniel. But he has one now. Which means- no baby duty for him tonight, and I am banished to sleep in Ethan's room, in the hopes that I can avoid said cold. This is hard for me. I'm a very selfish person. I have no problem admitting that. Most of the time I get away with being selfish because I'm also short and cute (at least I like to think so) and have a quirky personality, which makes me intriguing and entertaining, and makes people put up with WAY too much crap from me. But I don't get to be selfish tonight. I have a baby and a husband to take care of. And two cats who are a little disappointed to have seen the return of the "squeaky thing" this evening. I think they had great hopes that he was gone for good.

Off to bed on the murphy bed in the cranky baby's room. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Occidental Girl said...

Nah, you're not selfish. Just tired! It's hard to go without sleep. Duh. Sorry, everybody knows that I just thought I'd emphasize it a little bit more.