Thursday, August 23, 2007

He left me

Not permanently, just until about 5 PM tonight. Truthfully, I think it's harder on Daniel going to work today and leaving his baby behind, than it is for us to have him leave us. Poor guy, he's so completely smitten with Ethan. I've never loved him more than I do this week.

So far we've spent most of the morning eating. Ethan tends to cluster feed in the mornings, starting at his 5 or 6 AM feeding and continuing on until about noon. I'm typing this with one hand, because he doesn't like to be put down between the morning feedings. I'm hoping for him to fall asleep soon- I need to go to the bathroom! I'm really going to be glad when Ethan gets up to 8 pounds and we can use the Baby Bjorn- it'll make it much easier to get things done around the house with two free hands.

It's starting to hit me that I'm really not going back to work anytime soon. It's really very strange. I'm not entirely sure yet how I feel about it.

In good news- I haven't cried since Tuesday! I think maybe the "baby blues" are starting to go away a bit. Sleeping more helps too.

My best friend is coming over in an hour. With laminated things for me to cut out! She's an elementary school teacher, and the week before school is my favorite part of the year every year, because she laminates tons of things for her classroom, and I get to help cut them out of the laminated sheets. Which is one of my all-time favorite activities! Fun!

5 comments:

MamaBear at Potter Place said...

Oh, how I wish I were there!! I just LOVE cutting out laminated stuff and all that goes along with getting a classroom ready for a couple dozen excited pupils!

Glad to hear things are going better for you. You're right about the sleep. It seriously makes ALL the difference in the world.

Enjoy each moment. I'm looking at my almost 8-year-old daughter right now and wondering where in the world my little 4-1/2 pound preemie went. While these early days may drag by in slow motion at times, the years will pass with the speed of light. Ethan is blessed to have such a loving mom and dad.

kate said...

Ooohhhh...cutting out laminated stuff was one of my favorite things when I was a teacher!

I used the bjorn before my daughter was 8 lbs. I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just saying we had no problems using it on our first grocery trip when my daughter was 3 weeks old. She couldn't have been more than maybe 6.5 lbs. Have you considered a sling? I'm hoping to try one if we have another baby.

JaniceNW said...

It's gets better! Hang in there. We seemed to get things calmed down a bit by 4 weeks and almost routine by 6 weeks. If The baby is refusing a side, try the football hold and make him eat there first. My oldest was a stubborn sucker too.

Congrats and don't forget to watch him just being a miracle from time to time.

Anonymous said...

Hello, how can I email you directly? I have a great (free) offer to get your readers the chance to win a Chicco stroller every day during the month of September. My email is lconnery@coneinc.com. I help Chicco with their communications to parents.

kyouell said...

I second Kate's sling idea. I got one when my son was a couple months old at a local maternity store so that I could try it out; I was too chicken to buy one online. I love it and am now using it with my daughter. There are lots of different styles so there should be one out there that works for you.