Here's what I remember at this point!
So, as you all know, we went in for an induction attempt on Saturday the 4th. I was already dilated 3 cm and 60% effaced, so they went straight to pitocin. It didn't work, and they sent us home on Sunday and said to come back Wednesday. Then there was no space for us Wednesday, so we finally got in Thursday afternoon. Thursday they decided to do cervadil to see if that would have an effect, but nothing happened with the first dose. They decided to do one more dose, then would send me home again if nothing worked. I was being induced for hypertension, but my BP was fine last week, so there was no huge pressure. They spent some very painful time trying to install a foley bulb to dilate my cervix, but that didn't work. Hurt like hell though. Finally they started the 2nd dose of cervadil at around 4 AM, and I started having contractions at 4:30. Then by 6 I was hurting and at 7 I called for pain medicine. At which point my room filled up with doctors and nurses. Turns out I was hurting because my contractions were constant.
The baby's heart rate was decelerating with the contractions, so they pushed me down on the bed on my side and gave me a shot of terbutaline to STOP the contractions that we'd worked all week to get started. Things slowed down to a more normal rate after that. They ended up needing to put in internal monitors then to check the baby's heartbeat, so had to break my water. That was all pretty scary, since no one really was telling us what was going on. I got an epidural at 10 AM. I love the doctor who gave it to me. Labor hurts. I progressed really fast after that and was ready to push at 3. They had me wait until 4, just to rest a bit. I pushed for 4.5 hours, but the baby refused to come down. They gave me the choice of a c-section then, or more pushing with the high likelihood of an emergency c-section later. I chose then. But, when I got to the OR, my back started spasming from where I had strained it while pushing, so they ended up having to do general anesthesia to knock me out. So Daniel wasnt in the room. This turned out to be a good thing later, since the baby was still stuck, and it took 12 minutes to get him out. His first APGAR was a 5, but by the time I was awake, he was up to a 9. We found out later that it was a combo of his position and my body that were not letting him come out. They had to cut one of my abdominal muscles to get him out. I think it was holding him in behind my pelvic bone and not letting the baby descend. They even had to use the vacuum to get him out while doing the c-section. This is a problem we would have had even if we hadnt done the induction, and it might have been worse if he had been bigger. So, in the end the induction was a good thing.
We actually didnt find out until the next day just how scary everything had been, when one of the nurses who was in the c-section came back on duty and filled us in. They let us go home last night, finally. They wanted us to stay until this AM, but I was done with the hospital and ready to start trying to figure things out at home. We're doing well- Ethan is a great sleeper and eater. We're supplementing with formula until my milk comes in, since he was only 5 pounds, 15 oz, and cant really afford to lose any weight. He was 19 inches long. He's a total doll and we're in love. It was quite the ordeal to get him, but so worth it in the end!
Daniel is an amazing dad- he's having to do so much since I cant get around that well yet, and he's doing everything with such a happy attitude. I am so blessed! The only one not adjusting well so far is our cat Jenny. She seems really worried and starts crying every time the baby cries. Which, fortunately, is not that often.
I need to close and go sit. I seem to have had my grandmother's ankles and feet transplanted onto my body- FAT ankles!