Sunday, April 1, 2007

Perspective

I seriously lack perspective on things. Especially on things like magnitude of problems. I view all problems as REALLY A BIG DEAL!! POSSIBLY THE END OF THE WORLD!!! I stink at viewing things as they really are.

My boss emailed today to say that we need to do some significant re-writes on a report that we've been working on. It's been a tough report, one on a topic that I had no experience with at all, so we've been learning as we go. My boss is a nationally renowned scientist, one who knows something about pretty much everything. It's her job to find things that we need to change, after all, she's the one in front of a jury or judge, defending the work. But it's still hard to hear that I need to revise my work, mostly because that means I'm not perfect at everything I do. Which is still a shock to me to realize.

So I'm a little discouraged tonight. But it's good in some ways. It's forced me to step back and look at this from a more realistic perspective. Sure, we're going to have a rough week at work. But that's okay. That's what they pay me to do. In the end, it's going to get done, and everyone will be happy, and we will move on with our lives. This report does not affect my life, my husband, my child, or my relationship with God. And that's what I'm trying to teach myself in situations like these- if something doesn't affect one of those things, then it's probably not THAT big of a deal.

No comments: