Sunday, March 11, 2007

Why people become Republicans

We took our taxes to H&R Block yesterday. Usually we're do-it-yourself tax people, but this year we had bought and sold properties, and gotten married and it was all a little complicated. So we took our taxes in. And found out that, according to the government, we make too much money to claim some of our deductions. And, for the first time in my adult life, I owed money to the government for my taxes. I told the tax preparer that I was pretty sure this is what made people who were undecided into Republicans, when they suddenly find out that in the mind of the government they are "rich" and don't get many tax breaks. (Disclaimer- I'm already the lone Republican in Seattle, so it didn't really change my mind).

After the taxes were done, we went shopping at Goodwill.

No comments: