Thursday, March 1, 2007

Have you ever noticed

That computer people are relentless optimists? I started realizing this when I was dating my husband. His company designs and publishes support pages for companies. He'd tell me that they were launching a new webpage (usually in the middle of the night) and that it was expected to take a couple of hours. Inevitably I would talk to him the next morning, and he'd still be at work. After being there all night. And every time, he would be surprised. And say things like "well, there was an unexpected glitch in the coding." Unexpected by whom? I knew there would be a glitch and I know nothing about coding!

Our IT department at work has the same problem. We've been having a connectivity issue ongoing for weeks. Every time they come in to fix it, they assure us that it is completely fixed. After the 4th time, they assured us that this time, they had found the issue and it would not happen again. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what happened last night? In general, one of two things happens 1) they eventually, after weeks and weeks of promising the problem will be fixed that day, just never mention it again. And we learn ways to work around it. Or 2) we don't even bother telling them that something is broken. Because, honestly, things usually get worse before they get better and who has time for that. Then they act shocked and hurt that we didn't trust them with our computer problems because this problem would have been an easy one to solve. Sure.

Seriously, they work hard. And I know computers are evil. I don't blame the IT people for their inability to fix the things that I probably screwed up in the first place. But just be honest with me. Tell me that it will take 3 months and will probably lose my files and still not work right in the end. I think I'd be okay with that.

No comments: