Monday, February 19, 2007

A very humbling realization

Saturday morning found me at my church women's group-desperately trying to wake up, but very much enjoying the sunshine that was streaming in through the windows of the church office. We have a women's group that meets once a month- someone leads worship, then another person speaks, then we have small discussion groups. It's usually a really good group to be a part of.

This month's speaker did a wonderful job- speaking on James 3 and reminding me of the terrible power that the words I say have over others. A lesson that I really should be reminded of about 24 times a day.

But the truly moving and humbling part of the two hours came during worship. The worship leader read from scripture between songs, and one of the scriptures she read was from Psalm 139:
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

I've heard those words many times. And they have never held the power that they held on Saturday. I just sat there, overwhelmed with the thought that God knows and already has plans for this tiny little creature growing inside me. It's not my child- it's God's and He loves it infinitely more than I do. This baby is fearfully and wonderfully made, and is going to become the person that God has already planned for it to be.

I am so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful and miraculous experience.

No comments: