Tuesday, February 13, 2007

About my husband

Okay, first off, I have a new version of Word on my work computer and it's fancy. I'm a little scared of it :)

In honor of Valentine's Day tomorrow, I thought I would write about the wonderful saint that is my husband. He has always put up with a lot from me, but lately I've gone ahead and elevated him to sainthood for all the things that he's had to put up with.

Daniel works with computers. Web development of some sort. He's been promoted a bunch of times since we met (which was really the last time I generally understood what he did at work), so I'm a little vague on his exact job title or responsibilities now. Overall, he sits in meetings all day and talks on the phone a lot. When we started dating, he lived in a city about 70 miles from Seattle and commuted an additional 45 minutes to a "town" out near the coast. I say "town" because it's the type of place that has a Subway restaurant, a stoplight, and a grocery store. Not much more. After mocking it for a few months, I was humbled to find out that my great-grandparents had lived in said "town" for years, so I shut up after that.

Daniel is 10 years older than I am, and, until we got married, had pretty much lived alone since he left his parents' home in his early 20s. That's ~15 years of having his own space, making his own rules, and doing his own thing. He had a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house when we met, and plenty of stuff to fill it up. And yet, he has adapted marvelously to living with me and two cats in a 900 square foot condo. He is a little less enthusiastic about my favorite hobby, cleaning the closets and throwing everything away, but he even puts up with that remarkably well.

Truly, I am blessed. I have spent the majority of my life praying for a godly, loving man to show up on my doorstep. I dated several nice men who seemed to be what I wanted and needed, but for some reason those relationships didnt work out. And I never understood why until I met Daniel. For the first time, my friends didnt see me changing for a relationship, they saw me still being me, but a better version of who I was before. Because he challenges me to be better, to be more loving, to be more patient and calm. Not from anything he says, but because of who he is and how he treats me every single day. When you live with a man who never responds with anger, who is always concerned about you first, who is always ready to get up and get you a snack/water/whatever even in the middle of his TV show, you become very aware of how blessed you are. And that makes me want to learn how to treat him with the same respect and incredible love that he shows me every single day.

No comments: